Bichons... Bichons... Nothing but Bichons...
A very special poem partnership between Kiyomi, Japan,
and Norma, Canada.
"An Ode to the Bichon List!"
I searched for 'Bichon' and found the List
I knew this was something that shouldn't be missed.
I joined the group straight away,
And received my post everyday.
I laughed, I cried and shared your news
and learnt a lot from all your views.
My fluff was sick; we've never met
but how you cared, I'll never forget.
This Group was a fantastic find
and clearly attracts a certain kind,
Not only those that love our Breed,
But who also care for human need.
A fellow member needs our care,
Kind sweet Kiyomi, do not despair,
This Group will do all they can do
I'm proud I'm part of all of you.
Pauline Johns, England
"Crystal -- Gem"
I am greatly blessed.....
For this Bichon Puppy dog of mine,
She is soft and silky, warm and kind.
Loves to cuddle and plays with her toys.
And of course, she tends to be quite bold.
She has made me laugh, and made me cry,
There she is, always at my side.
A precious gift from God.....
So we call her Crystal, cause she is a gem.
She is full of energy, and a faithful friend.
A happy dog, with a nose and eyes like coal,
Who love to tease, but pleasing is her goal.
She is priceless, and a joy to hold,
As she comforts the spirit of my soul.
Sandra Morin, United States
Abby's Birthday (March 23rd 1997)
Abigail woke and opened one eye,
Through the window she saw there were clouds in the sky,
She decided so dreary a morning could keep,
So she stretched and she yawned - and she went back to sleep.
Henry, of course, had been up quite a while,
Attempting to better the three minute mile,
As he rushed up the garden to check, as before,
For brigands or dragons - or the cat from next door.
When Abby came out the clouds were long gone,
The birds were in song and the sun warmly shone,
The daffodils nodded and the primroses smiled,
For this special day of our eldest fur-child.
It was the right sort of morning that Abigail loves,
With the sun and the scents and the sound of the doves,
She glanced at us sideways - she knew she was late,
And then she remembered - Today she was EIGHT!
Such a sensible age, so grown up, so sedate,
And to prove it she started to bark at the gate,
When she had decided that no one was there,
She rolled on her back with her feet in the air.
And the daffodils nodded, the primroses smiled,
For this special day of our eldest fur-child.
Joan Briggs, England
If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind, it's mine.
If I take it away, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anyone else, no matter what.
If it looks like mine, it's mine.
1. The dog is NOT allowed in the house.
2. Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but ONLY in certain rooms.
3. The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay OFF the furniture.
4. The dog can get on the OLD furniture only.
5. Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to
sleep with the humans on the bed.
6. Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
7. The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
8. The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
9. The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
10.Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.
House Rules for Bichons: Sec. B -- Sleeping Arrangements
1. The bichon will sleep in his crate in the laundry room.
2. Okay, the crate can be in the bedroom, but the bichon must remain
in the crate throughout the night.
3. Okay, the bichon can come out of the crate but it must sleep on
the floor and will not be allowed on the bed.
4. Fine, the bichon can sleep on the bed, but only at the foot end of
5. Okay, the bichon can sleep in the middle of the bed, but it must
keep off the pillow.
6. Fine, the bichon can sleep on the pillow, but it may not touch
7. Okay, it can sleep on your face, but only on the SIDE of your
face, not over your nose and mouth.
8. The poodle will remain at the foot of the bed. (Enough is
One day an elderly Bichon exhibitor was reflecting on her successful
past as she sat with her last remaining very old Bichon dog. As she
polished her dusty Certificate frames a genie suddenly popped out and
granted her three wishes. She said "I would like to be young and
beautiful again. I would also like to be rich and finally I would like
my lovely old Bichon to become a handsome Prince and live with me
The room filled with rainbow colored smoke and as it cleared she looked in the mirror
and saw that she really was young and beautiful again. Then she noticed all her frames
and rosettes were studded with diamonds and jewels. Standing behind her was a
gorgeous looking young man. Their eyes met and as she melted into his arms he
whispered to her "My Darling, aren't you sorry now you had me castrated!"
"The Creation Story as told by Snoopy"
On the first day of creation, God created the dog.
On the second day, God created man to serve the dog.
On the third day, God created all the animals of the earth to serve as
potential food for the dog.
On the fourth day, God created honest toil so that man could labor
for the good of the dog.
On the fifth day, God created the tennis ball so that the dog might or
might not retrieve it.
On the sixth day, God created veterinary science to keep the dog healthy
and the man broke.
On the seventh day, God tried to rest, but He had to walk the dog.
"Little White Bandit"
She's a little white bandit.
If she can't steal it she'll demand it.
If she can't have it she just can't stand it.
And she'll do whatever she has to, to land it.
She's a French breed of a dog -- a "bichon frise".
That means "fluffy lap dog", easy to say.
And she's plumb spoiled rotten, just like all of Daddy's pets.
Whatever Daddy's got, little bandit gets.
When Daddy has a snack, she's right by his chair,
Barkin' and cryin' to get her share.
When Daddy's at the dining table, she's right there.
Momma doesn't like it but Daddy doesn't care.
If there's meat on the counter, you know it's not safe;
She can jump like a kangaroo and run like a thief.
And she'll get away with the dastardly act
'Cause she's got an "accessory after the fact".
Momma may holler, but the dog won't unhand it
'Cause she knows her Daddy will understand it.
She's his little bandit.
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal
dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to
Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends
so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and
sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are
happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very
special, someone who was left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body
begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green
grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to
be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again
caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes,
so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
"If It Should Be"
If it should be I grow frail and weak
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.
Then you must do what must be done
When this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand.
Selfishness might stay your hand.
But on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship take the test.
We've had so many happy years
That what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer. So,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend.
Only -- stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me.
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know, in time, you, too, will see
It is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Do not grieve it should be you.
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years......
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
"Soap and Water"
A priest was asked to dinner by one of his parishoners who he knew as
being an unkempt housekeeper. When he sat down at the table, he
noticed that the dishes were the dirtiest that he had ever seen in his
"Were these dishes ever washed?" he asked his hostess, running his
fingers over the grit and grime. She replied, "They're as clean as
soap and water could get them". He felt a bit apprehensive but blessed
the food anyway and started eating. It was really delicious and he
said so, despite the dirty dishes.
When dinner was over, the hostess took the dishes outside and barked
"Here Soap! Here Water!"
Submitted by: Joyous
"A Dog Sits Waiting"
A Dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun,
too faithful to leave, too frightened to run,
He's been here for days with nothing to do
But sit by the road, waiting for you,
He can't understand why you left him that day
He thought you and he were stoppng to play
He's sure you'll come back and that's why he stays
How long will he suffer? How many more days?
His legs have grown weak,
his throat's parched and dry
He's sick now from hunger and falls with a sigh
He lays down his head and closes his eyes
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.
by Kathy Hood
"How To Photograph A New Puppy"
1. Remove film from box and load camera
2. Remove film box from puppy's mouth and throw in trash
3. Remove puppy from trash and brush coffee grounds from muzzle
4. Choose a suitable background for photo
5. Mount camera on tripod and focus
6. Find puppy and take dirty sock or underwear from mouth
7. Place puppy in pre-focused spot and return to camera
8. Forget about spot and crawl after puppy on knees
9. Focus with one hand and fend off puppy with other hand
10. Get tissue and clean nose print from lens
11. Take flash cube from puppy's mouth and throw in trash
12. Put cat outside and put peroxide on the scratch on puppy's nose
13. Pick up chewed up newspaper
14. Try to get puppy's attention by squeaking toy over your head
15. Replace your glasses and check camera for damage
16. Jump up in time to grab puppy by scruff of neck and say,
"No, No, outside!"
17. Call spouse to clean up mess
18. Fix a drink
19. Sit back in Lazy Boy with drink and resolve to teach puppy
"sit" and "stay" the first thing in the morning
"Can You Love Me Like My Dog Loves Me?"
* bump into doorways and walls in your rush to greet me?
* smother me with kisses each time I enter the room, even though
I've been gone only thirty seconds?
* always be thrilled to go on a ride or run an errand, as long as
it is with me?
* follow me anywhere?
* be interested in meeting new friends but always come back to me?
* always think I look great, no matter what I am wearing?
* whimper and whine when we are apart?
* forgive anything and never hold a grudge?
* answer the door prepared to defend me against strangers
and people in uniforms?
* never change the way you feel about me?
Touch a Bichon and you have touched a bit of heaven...
Hold a Bichon and you have held the world...
Love a Bichon and you will love life forever...
You are visitor
to this site since January 12, 1997.
Sunday, October 5, 1997
© 1997 All Rights Reserved